A rivalry 40 years in the making- decided in 3 games.
The 2020 State of Origin may be running months later than other years, but that hasn’t dampened the
rivalry between NSW and Queensland.
A new campaign from the NRL, R/GA and VANDAL uses 40 years of team data to celebrate a ‘Rivalry
Using data from the very first State of Origin to now, R/GA and the NRL highlight the unexpected statistics
of the game, providing fans with a new window into the sport.
The idea for the campaign came following the NRL grand finals and the campaigns surrounding them,
which highlighted the long history of data attached to the sport. The Rivalry Without Rival campaign
shows that the NSW vs Queensland rivalry has, if anything, grown in the last few years and will be at its
most fierce when the event kicks off this week.
R/GA worked closely with the NRL’s internal team and VANDAL, a motion design agency, who managed
the motion design and production of the film. Kieran Antill, ECD of R/GA Australia said the campaign
looks at more than the wins and the losses.
● Senior Designer: Darrin Hanley
● Producer: Michaela Fenton
● Editor: Mariah Dunn
● Head of Marketing: Peter Jarmain
● Snr Marketing Manager: Courtney Mace
● Marketing Manager: Taryn Tyler
● Snr Copywriter: Jonathon Shannon
● Snr Art Dir: Bede Gannon, Peter Majarich
● Visual Designer: Tom Twiby, Ben Spooner
● Strategy Director: Mitch Incoll
● Snr Content Producer: Kyle Belcher
● Snr Account Dir: Ranjan Kumar